I have been on the foundation struggle bus lately. Ever since I read an article about makeup expiration dates and decided that most of my foundations have probably gone bad, I have been on the hunt for a new foundation to welcome into my hall of fame. In the past month or two, I have sampled so many foundations, and basically been disappointed by most of them. Nothing I’ve tried seems to fit my definition of “perfect.” I want something with light/medium buildable coverage, something not too drying but not too dewy, and something that lasts at least through the work day. Is perfect complexion in a bottle too much to ask for?
After testing out nine different foundations, I think that I’ve found something that fits 99% of my needs. But just for the heck of it, let me take you through the journey of my foundation woes. Counting down from least favorite to most favorite, here we go…
9. Shiseido Dual Balancing: Oxidized like crazy. Transferred everywhere. Didn’t control shine at all.
8. Clinique Even Better: The lightest shade still oxidized on me.
7. Chanel Vitalumiere: Too dewy. Could not find a good color match for my yellow undertones.
6. Diorskin Nude BB Cream: Breaks me out. Pretty drying for a BB.
5. Bareminerals SPF 20 Pressed Powder: Good as a light finishing powder, but on its own, it can get cakey really quickly.
4. Lancome Teint Idole Ultra: Color looks a little ashy on me. Can be too thick and heavy. Settles into my dry patches by the end of the day.
3. MAC Face and Body: Really sheer coverage and not really that buildable. Fine for days when my skin is behaving, but not when my skin is breaking out.
2. Estee Lauder Double Wear Light: Good lasting power, but drying.
1. Givenchy Photo’Perfexion: Gives a blurred, soft-focus finish. Light, no oil. Good color match. Doesn’t have great staying power. Settles into my dry patches by the end of the day.
Needless to say, I’m still searching. My dry, blemish-prone skin is still holding out hope that there’s something out there that will be “just right.” Until then, fighting!